Trying to harvest to sell sweet basil

lemoncucumberfanaticAugust 4, 2012

I started selling lemon cucumbers last year, and this year my dads store is in demand of sweet basil. I have finally gotten the plants up enough where I feel good about harvesting, but I want the plant to keep growing. The last time I tried "clipping" the plant hasn't grown back and it's been over a month, so I know I did something wrong. I make sure to pluck it, and keep it watered. It is organic, even though legally I can not say that don't know why. But I really don't want to screw this up. I desperately need the money, because its my only source of income dues to my lupus, and fibromyalgia. If anyone can tell me how much to take off to make sure it keeps growing, or refer me to a video, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You have to have your growing operation certified in order for you to claim 'organic ', but you could use the term "pesticide-free".

Are you selling sprigs of basil? Are you nipping the growing points out when the plant is very young so that it develops lots of axillary branching? With a little bit of pinching, a basil plant can become very bushy....offering lots of tender side shoots for harvesting.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 2:32PM
lemoncucumberfanatic

I have been very good about making sure it doesn't flower, I pick leaves if they look weak but they are pretty bushy. I think I need More I have some in peat pellets that are ready to transplant but the store I'm selling to said they will take 100 bushels. I just don't want to cut it too short where it doesn't keep growing. I'll take a picture tomorrow, I've been looking up videos about it, but it's not that helpful. Thanks for your response and help.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:58AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Be sure to search through the back posts of this forum. Whole books of info is available there on growing, harvesting, and using basil - it is one of our most asked about herbs.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™