growing gotu kola

jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)August 23, 2006

I ordered some plants, and received pots with a few skimpy stems and small leaves on them. (dissapointing to say the least)

I set them in a shallow dish of water and kept them moist. they put out a few rooted runners down to the water, but the plants themselves kept dying off.

I took the rootlets and buried them in the soil of the plant next to them. Everything still seemed to die back. I thought about throwing the pots out, but decided to keep the faith.

Took the pots out of the water, and just kept the soil moist.

I'm happy to say that each pot now has several small green leaves emerging!

I may be able to do this! Yippee. Since I've read that GK is a "thug", it would be a gardening disgrace not to be able to keep it alive.

Celebrating today!

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

I am not too sure it's a thug in a mediterranean climate... I killed mine, underwatering.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 11:11AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

It's a thug where I live, in the subtropics! I kept mine firmly contained in a pot, and then when I moved house it was one of the herbs I just had to get rid of it because of lack of space. But you know - that wretched stuff keeps popping up in unexpected places in my little garden! Keep it moist and in partial shade, although it will grow in full sun if kept moist. It will die off easily if allowed to dry out, but give it a drink and it will resurrect. I'd say your plants went into severe transplant shock.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 5:47PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

It's pretty easy to grow. If I remember right it's not frost-hardy, so you may as well keep it in pots and overwinter indoors.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 8:00PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

Oh, no! The dreaded transplant shock!

I didn't transplant them yet, but I'm wondering if the grower didn't just before sending them. I gave one of the plants to a friend with a green thumb, and he had the same problem. Then his housekeeper threw the pot out, thinking it was a lost cause.

Judging from the number of babies I'm now seeing, I will have to separate and transplant them sooner or later...and then here we go again??

If they thrive, I think I will keep them as houseplants, since we are planning to move to zone 6a soon.

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 10:00AM
nygardener(z6 New York)

If you want, you can buy some more from Richters, which also gives some info on culture.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 11:36PM
adrianag(AL z7)

I will be visiting a friend in NSW for a month from the US and would love to try Gotu Kola for my arthritis. Can somebody suggest a source?

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 5:36AM
juicemonkey

its def hardy to usda zone 9b
ive never lived anywhere colder than that

i could send you a plant

or try a mail order nursery stateside
ive had good dealings with horizon herbs
they have tinctures too

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 3:51AM
More Discussions
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™