Does Mint Attract Flies (not gnats)

amyjeanAugust 30, 2009

I have mint growing near my front door (peppermint and spearmint) and it currently is in flower -has been for at least a couple of weeks. For the last couple of weeks or so the area has been THICK WITH BLACK FLIES. These seem to be "regular old, garden variety black flies", not gnats or something else. I've seen a couple references to this on the internet, but haven't ever seen a satisfactory answer to whether mint attracts flies, although I've seen many references to the fact that mint REPELS FLIES.

However, I can't think of anything else it could be. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you,

Amyjean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Since the plants are next to your door, did anything get spilled on the plant? Maybe a sweetened drink or something?

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 8:04AM
lmartier_gmail_com

yes yes yes yes, i planted mint a couple years ago to be a natural repellant. the flies were so thick and disgusting on them it was like special effect. the kids would throw mulch chips at the plants to see the black cloud of flies that came off (but went right back on)

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 9:28AM
stargazie6

Oh man does it ever. I have peppermint, spearmint and even some catnip in a very big pot. Have had it for years. I had to move the pot away from my porch because, when in bloom, the blooms are simply covered in flies.
Only good part is if they are all crowded together on the blooming spikes they stay away from my door? Mint may repel many things, but flues are not one of them.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 12:52PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

House flies are absolutely attracted to mint in my garden. No question about it.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™