More Articles to Share

fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)August 10, 2012

Over the last month or so I've added about 7 articles to my blog, many of which the readers here would be interested in. They include articles on a variety of native plants spotted on hikes - these articles include pictures as well as ethnobotanical uses (ie. herbal uses) for those plants. There is another Herb ID challenge and more. I hope you enjoy!

Our Green Neighbors Blog

FataMorgana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Great work again, Fatamorgana. My mystery herb answer is Elder. But it looks a little different to the Sambucus nigra over here so I'm guessing it's a N American variant. S nigra subs. candensis???

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:10AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Thanks, Flora! Yes, it is the North American species which I think was renamed to S. nigra subs. candensis from Sambucus canadensis. So many plants are being renamed that it is hard sometimes to keep it all straight.

I grew up with this elderberry - as a kid picking berries for my mom to make into pies and jellies. I was always the one roaming the woods, climbing trees, and picking the wild berries. Unfortunately I lost my taste for elderberry in pies and jellies when I ate a load of the fresh berries while picking them. I was pretty sick feeling afterwards and could never bring myself to eat them again. (You're really supposed to cook the fruit to deal with any of the toxins that may be present and I didn't know that.) With 30-35 years between now and then, I've finally gotten past that and have planted elderberries at my place. This was one of my bushes prior to the drought this summer here. Some of the bushes may not have survived/come back and none ended up producing any berries.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 12:13PM
wally_1936(8b)

All the elderberries we had were the ones growing wild. [Michigan] Only remember collecting them for mom and grandma once for jelly. The raspberries mostly grew wild. I did love wild strawberries as in one of those singe fruits there was more flavor than a pint of store bought. They were harder to find and we had a large patch plus we picked for the local farmers that we got enough for our family for all jam we could eat for a year, plus all the fresh ones that were so good on homemade biscuit shortbread with lots of homemade whipping cream.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
Sponsored Products
Silver Shimmer Corsica Utility Basket
$39.99 | zulily
Matrix Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Free-Pad New Heriz Floral Hand Knotted 3'x10' Oriental Lava Serapi Wool Runner R
BH Sun Inc
Knex Bundle: Transport Chopper and 4 Wheel Drive Truck Building Sets - 11416
$46.68 | Hayneedle
What Makes a Mom Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Henri Studio Medium Rock Falls Fountain
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™