Fermenting Pickles doing NADA!

gardengrl(Northern Virginia)July 11, 2011

I have a 5 gal crock of garlic pepper dills "fermenting" away in my cellar. Problem is, they haven't done anything in the past three weeks...no yeastie beasties, no foaming, no bubbles, nada. I've made sauerkraut before, which bubbled away quite nicely, but these pickles aren't doing anything that I "expect".

I'm using a Linda Zeidrich recipe. They're also VERY salty. They taste yummy, just very salty.

So, I'm wondering if fermenting is taking a looooooong time, which explains the no-action, plus the saltiness?

How will I know when these are done? They are defintely not "cucumbery" on the inside....a slight olive green.

Anyway, I'm babbling on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If they taste like you want (except for the salty part) then they may be done. My fermented pickles are never as active as kraut is. Plus what is the air temp in the cellar? 70-75 works best for me. Cooler air temps tend to be very slow.

They are done when they taste good to you. :)

Dave

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:31AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

As Dave said, if you like them, they're fine. Sometimes fermentation is very slow or at such a low level it's hard to discern. I'm guessing it's cool temperatures affecting the fermentation. Cool enough and foods won't ferment at all, but that's hard to imagine outside a fridge in the summer.

Carol

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:36PM
gardengrl(Northern Virginia)

Thanks everyone. Also, since these are SOOOO salty, should I can them in a finishing brine? What can I do to make them less salty?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 8:18AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

You can process in a finishing brine. Also, after you've opened a jar you could take that quart and place those pickles in clear water to leach out excess salt. There are some previous threads about using this method to correct overly salty pickles.

Carol

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 11:52AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sometimes it takes multiple soakings in fresh warm water to level out the salty flavor. We have done some in 3 changes of really warm water over a 24 hour period, tasted, and only then processed in the finishing brine.

Dave

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Sponsored Products
2 Gallon Premium Beer-Making Kit
| Dot & Bo
26-Oz. Bathroom Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily
Daiginjo Sake Glass - Shotoku Glass
$45.00 | HORNE
e-nrg Bioethanol Fuel by EcoSmart Fire
$69.00 | Lumens
26-Oz. Multi-Surface Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily