Preserving Herbs with Salt

defrost49August 17, 2010

I'm posting this here rather than the Harvest Forum. About 25 years ago I was given a recipe at a lecture/demo about preserving herbs with salt. I made it once and then promptly forgot about it because we were trying to limit our salt intake. I remember hand chopping a variety of herbs, mixing it with salt and keeping the jar in the refrigerator.

I have scoured the internet but about the only recipe I can find is a Canadian one that includes carrots and celery.

If you have an herb mixture you preserve with salt for the winter, I hope you will share it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandhill_farms(10 NV)

I did a quick search and found the following:

Storing Fresh Herbs in Salt

Another method that can be used to store fresh herbs is to store them in salt. Choose a shallow container and place a layer of kosher salt on the bottom then add a single layer of the herb that is being preserved. Continue alternating layers of salt and herb until all the herb has been used up. Make sure the final layer is salt then place the lid on the container and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to use take whatever quantity of herb that is needed out of the salt. The longer the herbs remain in the salt, the more dried out they will become but the flavor should not be affected. Herbs can successfully be stored in salt for up to 2 months

Greg
Southern Nevada

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 2:05PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Google got me a number of hits you can check out. Be sure to share your results with us!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Salt preserving herbs

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 5:08PM
defrost49

Greg, thanks for the instructions. Fatamorgana, it's funny, your wording for google turned up some websites I hadn't found. I've assembled a file of ideas. It seems Canadians have a very popular mix, there's a Brazilian mix and I also found a Mediterranean mix. I don't remember a brine but I may have forgotten that. I think a seasoning mixture for stews and pot roast would be very handy so I'll work on figuring out a mix. Somewhere I have a "secret pot roast seasoning mix" made from dry herbs so I might use that as a guide for choosing fresh.

Today I am making a summer squash gratin with yukon gold potatoes, cheese and fresh oregano/parsley/olive oil paste. I did not make this in the winter but duh, the oregano/parsley/oil paste could be frozen for winter meals.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:27AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Ah! My google-fu must be strong this week! *grin*

Glad to help - and the gratin sounds absolutely yummy!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™