Black Turtle Beans?

ceresone(missouri ozarks)July 20, 2007

I'm canning several kinds of dried beans, according to Ball Blue Book. Only, I dont know what you use Black Turtle Beans for? or for that matter, Black eyes peas? And, do I put ham with either to can?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

Black beans are very common in mexican cuisine. They are small beans and very tasty and firm. Traditionally, you'd season them with epazote, cilantro, garlic, onions and maybe hot peppers and/or lime juice. Chicken or beef stock if you have it.

Ham? Well, it might be worth an experiment, but the beans are much more flavorful and strong than a bean like a pinto, and IMO they really don't need that kick of flavor from ham like some of the milder beans do.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 12:08PM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Lots of southern cooks would say yes to the ham but I actually perfer to leave mine plain and then season them as I see if when cooking...

I love black beans....They are as the other poster said, very popular in Latin Countries...I make Cuban Black Beans and rice often...

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 12:17PM
david52_gw

Black beans make great bean salad, particularly mixed up with white, navy beans (cooked separately). Or out of separate cans. They also are great with rice, as noted above, and I like them in burritos, for a change.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™