how do I can/dry/store black beans????

cannerintrainingJuly 11, 2006

Hi all. I am new here and after spending 3 days surfing the web for info I decided to join here and seek help.

Here is my problem. I thought it would be fun to grow black beans. It is fun, they have grown very easily. Now they are begginning to turn yellow and the beans inside are black.

My question is now what do I do??

is it best to dry them, freeze, or can. And what steps do I take.

BTW I even called the Ball Jar company and they had no idea.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bethany

(aka: canner in training)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Usually once the pods turn, you can harvest. They are fine dried if you like. Its probably the easiest thing to do with them. I don't know much more about a black bean, but suggest that you go to the newly created forum for LEGUMES and BEANS. There, you might find more info. Canning would require a pressure canner. Freezing can be done after a blanching.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 12:31PM
CA Kate

Let them dry until the shell dries to "paper", then shell them. I also think storing them dry in a jar would be easiest and then can be used as desired.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 12:50PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

If the pods are yellow it's too late to can them as shellie beans, because they already are drying out. So let them go all the way, and store them as dry beans.

If you want to can some next year, harvest them when the pods are filled out, but haven't changed color yet. Beans need to be processed in a pressure canner.

If for some reason you can't let them dry on the vine (such as too much moisture, or threatening frosts, or what have you), shuck the beans into open-weave baskets and let them air-dry thoroughly, stirring once or twice a day.

To tell if a bean is dry enough, put one on a hard surface and strike it with a hammer. If it shatters it's ready to be stored. If it just sort of mushes, it needs more drying time.

Storing beans is one of the ways those half-gallon Mason jars really come into their own.

Do you need recipes for those black beans?

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 1:34PM
jimster(z7a MA)

"Do you need recipes for those black beans?"

I do. In a Cuban restaurant, I had a side dish of exceptionally good black beans. They were plain (cooked with seasonings of course) and served in just some of the pot likker.

These beans were perfect -- beautiful, glossy black with no dominating flavor, just a nice satisfying beany taste. I've tried to duplicate them and haven't quite succeeded. I doubt there is any secret about the ingredients. It's a simple dish. The secret must be in the method of preparation and attention to detail,

Any hints would be appreciated.

Jim

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 3:13PM
cannerintraining

I would LOVE recipes! Thanks! And thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try letting them dry on the vine and then place them in a basket to conclude the drying process.
By letting them vine dry won't I stop production? I though they only kept producing if you removed the pods?
Bethany

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 10:26AM
gardenlad(6b KY)

That's correct. But if you pick them when they're leathery, and finish drying in baskets, the vines will quickly set new flowers and fruit.

Beans have a maximum fruit-load point, which is why they stop producing once you let them dry. But if you pick some, you make room for more to grow.

Horticulturally it's more complex than that. But in practical terms, it's that simple.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 11:31AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

The same is true of cucumbers. If you notice that your cukes are not producing, look for a few 'watermelons', and that usually will get them growing again once you remove these big, overgrown ones.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 3:27PM
corgi-mom

Great information! My first time try at black beans has been a prolific experience.... I have begun to shuck them - the pods are drying and beans turning black. I will put them in a basket as suggested. Would love some of the recipes, too! Thanks

Karen in SC

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 3:28PM
julese

Would I be able to can my black beans that I cooked fresh from the bag? If so, I would like to know how.

Thank you, Julese Cepero

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 10:20PM
robin_d(8b Tacoma WA)

Here's how, it's easy - I canned a bunch of black beans just a couple days ago. :-)

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Canning lard
After much research I read that pure, rendered lard...
lana_lang
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™