Using extracts in Jam

nancedar(z7NC)July 16, 2014

Is there a reason why I shouldn't use extracts to flavor my jams? Instead of real rum I'd like to use Rum Extract (not imitation rum flavoring) but it has glycerine in it, and do other Extracts. What do you know about glycerin in a home canned product? Safe, not?
Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

I don't know about the glycerin, but if you are wanting to avoid alcohol, you do realize that the alcohol evaporates off. Even if added at the last minute, you could simply add it a minute or two earlier to make sure it escapes before canning. I have hear that some folks are so sensitive that even a little residual is problematic, so I understand if you are trying to be super careful.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:41AM
canfan

I don't see why you couldn't use extracts... here is a link to where almond extract is *optional in several recipes provided vie a county extension web site. Notice the amount 1/4 teaspoon per quantity of other ingredients, so it doesn't take much to flavor a batch. What extracts and fruits are you considering? Just curious... :)

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 11:22AM
nancedar(z7NC)

canfan - I have a GF baking business so there sit a lot of extracts (nothing artificial) that I buy in bulk, and I make about 50 varieties of fruit jam so I'm always looking for a new flavor combo. I noticed that most of the extracts use alcohol, not the problem, but a lot have glycerin in them too, which is the unknown for me as far as using it in canning.
BTW pure almond extract is usually just almond oil and alcohol.
Nancy

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™