Canning Pickle "Spears"

skeipJuly 27, 2014

I see commercially canned pickles where the cucumbers have been sliced lengthwise into spears. Is this practical for home canners? Sometimes you can only get a few whole cukes in a jar, but if they were cut into spears and then packed, you could get a lot more in.

Does this change processing time? What will the texture be like? Also related but not really, can you ferment spears and slices or only whole cucumbers? I'm excited that I have enough fresh cukes to start canning tomorrow!

TYIA for the information.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

JMO on the spears - been there, tried that, mushy. I prefer to do halves and then cut into spears after opening. They are still softer than wholes would be but better than spears. And if you do halves use Pickle Crisp.

In theory the processing time should be less for halves or spears because of the faster heat penetration but there are no tested recommendations for how much difference. So we are stuck with the standard - whatever the recipe calls for in both shape/cut and processing time.

As to fermenting I have never tried anything but whole cukes since the one time we did slices they were way too soft and almost slimey. But your experience may vary. So we ferment only whole and then slice/spear and jar as desired after fermenting.

Dave

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:13PM
skeip

Dave, as always, I appreciate your knowledge and experience, and willingness to share both. That and the referral to the NCHFP...

Steve

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:42PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I have to agree with Dave. I was unhappy with spears (with the exception of Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chunks).

I just can them whole and slice later into whatever shape I need (i.e. spears, rounds, halves).

Deanna

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™