Mint is dying

glaceauAugust 13, 2011

I need some advice with growing mints. I'm completely new at gardening and decided to start off with mint. I obtained some cuttings several days ago and had planted them in a pot and left it outside in partial sun. By the second day, the mints have started to droop and wither and now there is hardly any green left on them.

I've read everywhere that mint is a very sturdy plant that can withstand much more than other plants can, yet I just managed to kill them. I think I was underwatering them. Should I give the cuttings more time? Or should I start over with new cuttings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Plants, like humans, can be very robust as adults, but as babies they need a bit of TLC. Most cuttings (of any plant) will droop and look very sad and forlorn for a while at first - in particular the tender baby parts at the tip of stems - until they form roots.

Don't give up yet. Just keep the soil barely moist, don't let it dry out at all, but make sure it isn't soggy. And cross your fingers.

Best and easiest solution is to forget taking cuttings altogether, and use pieces of the plant from under the soil. just hack off a bit of the original clump, complete with either roots or runners or both (don't worry if there are no above-ground bits), bury it, and sit back and watch it take off.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Herb & Edible Flower Round Robin Swap
Inviting everyone to join my Herb & Edible Flower...
EricaBraun
Sponsored Products
Clear 16-Oz. Insulated Tumbler - Set of Four
$10.49 | zulily
Artisan Circles Area Rug (5'5 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
Flos | KTribe F2 Soft Floor Lamp
YLighting
Design House Hancock Outdoor Uplight - 502369
$40.99 | Hayneedle
1-Light Wall Lantern Black
$60.30 | PLFixtures
Series 435 Motion Sensor Antique Bronze One-Light Outdoor Wall Light with Photoc
$112.50 | Bellacor
Maison Wastebasket
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Artemide | Melete Wall Sconce
$375.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™