Herb purees?

lali(z9, Sunset z18, CA)August 21, 2009

My basil plants are going out of control as in taking over my herb garden. I use a lot of it in pasta sauces and other applications, but just not pesto. I'm not a huge pesto fan, but do love the taste of basil in dishes.

What's the best way to harvest/preserve basil so that I have basil readily available whenever I need it (after growing season)? Can I make basil purees (oil + basil without nuts), pop them in ice cube trays and use as needed? This is the first year I've tried growing herbs, so I'm not sure if or when my basil plants will stop growing (going dormant/dying). They are lush and large at the moment and would like to take advantage of that now.

Thanks for reading...

lali

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

You can use an oil, or better yet, a little water and freeze. It can keep well for up to about 6 months if tightly wrapped. A Food Saver machine with the heavy weight plastic bags will offer the best as to flavor retention.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 6:17PM
lali(z9, Sunset z18, CA)

ksrogers - I was thinking of adding water, but not sure if that would work since most people used oil + nuts in their basil mixtures. I like the idea of using water since it freezes easier than oil and won't add anything extra to the herbs.

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 6:46PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Unless your just wanting to make pesto, avoid the nuts. I use pine nuts, but they are partially roasted and chopped fine when searving the pesto. If you want to seson other things like tomato sauces and such, you would not need any nuts. Even for that, if you have a lot of garlic finly chop that with the basil and feeze. I would not use too much water to making the mixture, but add enough to make it like a soft paste.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™