Pick Your Own??

melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)July 30, 2011

Does anyone out there know of any Pick Your Own farms in the Denver / Fort Collins / Greeley area?? I have been searching online and coming up with exactly nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Have you checked the pickyourown.org website? It is the best source I know of other than your local Farmer's Markets.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pick-Your-Own - Colorado listings

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:18PM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I did check that website and surprisingly came up empty. I'll keep looking tho.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 2:02PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Came up empty? Don't understand. There are many places listed for Denver. I don't know which county Fort Collins or Greely are in but many of the NW and NE counties have some listings.

Denver, CO Farmer's Market listings

Dave

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 2:50PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I did find this blog listing some u-picks in the Denver area, though the writer acknowledges some require a fair drive. This blog also links to pickyourown, so apparently the pickings are kind of slim (no pun intended).

Denver U-Picks

Carol

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 3:15PM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

Thank you Carol - there are a couple of good leads here. When the author mentions a "fair drive", she means a five to six hour drive to western slope of Colorado or even into Utah (8+ hours for me). This is actually where most of our "local" fruit comes from.

Thank you Dave for the link as well. I have a wonderful Farmer's Market here in Cheyenne. I was just wondering if I could get large quantities of produce for putting up cheaper by going the pcuk your own route. The few large, organic, produce farms in the area that I know of do not allow pick your own. You have to buy from them at the Farmer's Market or suscribe to their CSA program. No problems, I will keep looking!

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 1:40AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Another option might be to speak to favorite sellers at the Farmer's Market. Sometimes they'll bring in a special bulk order and when you allow for the savings in fuel and time, that might ink out as the better option. That's how I get my cucumbers for pickling.

Carol

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 2:21PM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

Great idea, Carol. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™