Sun-loving, fast growing, drought tolerant shrubs

rvird01July 28, 2012

Hi All,

I'm looking for large shrubs or small, low growing trees that are fast growing, thrive in full sun and are drought tolerant once established. I would also like at least one season of flowers or foliage color. I'm not asking for much :)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Confederate rose is a beautiful shrub/tree, blooms in the spring, with huge blossoms that look like roses or fancy hibiscus. I have them all over my property and just love them.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:02PM
denisemb(9a N. Central FL)

Have you considered loropetalums? Our landscaper recommended them as a screen around our lanai & we're happy with them. Some varieties grow to 12' with 6' spread. Fast growing, new growth is burgundy/purple leaves (evergreen) with spring pink flowers. Most people seem to shear them into hedges, but I like to selectively prune to keep a "loose" shape. Our are in full sun & while I regularly watered them during their 1st season, they've been on their own since. ;)

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:10PM
rvird01

Thanks Kay and Denise. I've been meaning to buy some confederate rose. I don't think it will thrive where I want to put the shrub screen since it is really sandy and hard to keep watered. But, I have a few other spots that should work well.

I love loropetalums, I have several and they are doing well. I just want to add something new.

Have either of you ever had orange sweet broom?

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 9:47PM
katkin_gw

How about dombeya seminole? It blooms a pretty pink flower a good part of the summer and gets pretty tall and wide. :o)

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 5:59AM
amberroses(10a)

jatropha or yellow elder

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 11:21AM
rvird01

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked them up and love them! I actually have the yellow elder (yellow bells) and love the flowers. Would the dombeya seminole and jatropha be hardy in zone 9a? We were just moved there from 8b with the new USDA hardiness zones.
Thanks!

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:12PM
rvird01

Well, after browsing on-line and looking through available area nursery stock, I ended up with Texas Sage. Since it is native to the southwestern deserts, it should do great in my pure sand yard :) Thanks for all the help.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:04PM
amberroses(10a)

Texas Sage is good too. I have it in a very hot sunny area and it does fine. The blooms are pretty, but not very frequent for me.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™