Question about Canning Gumbo Base (without the Roux!)

CharcuterieJuly 11, 2012

I'm curious if it would be possible to pressure can quarts or pints of some sort of gumbo base that I could then add to a roux. I was thinking of a chicken soup texture. Made with roasted chicken stock, lean sausage or dark chicken meat, onion, bell peppers, celery and maybe okra along with seasoning like bay leaf, cayenne and Tabasco sauce. Canning the mixture for 75 minutes at 10 psi (as is appropriate for my elevation.)

I know no one can recommend anything that doesn't have a approved recipe, but is this theoretically be safe? The texture I'm imagining would be similar to chicken soup. I wasn't planning on using seafood because it would be a texture issue. For the vegetables I was thinking of using okra but that cause some density issues since it thickens. I might just do the okra separately.

I want to be able to make a roux, add a jar of base a pack of frozen peeled shrimp and have a gumbo done quickly rather than having to cut everything up. I know I could freeze this but that isn't practical right now. If you guys say this is a foolish idea I will listen, but I was hoping it would be ok.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The approved meat and vegetable recipe should accomodate what you want. Okra isn't prohibited and in reasonable amounts I can't see a problem with it.

The main issue would be to use no more than 50% solids (i.e. meat and vegetables) per jar with the remainder being broth.

You may already be aware of the link, but for others reading, I'll post it.

Also, roux can be made in batches and frozen in serving size portions. That wouldn't take up much freezer space and given the amount of time roux can take, it's a possibility if you've not already considered it.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Meat and Vegetable Soups

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Charcuterie

Ahh those are two very good tips thanks so much for your reply and for the link. You're great! :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™