herbs for chooks

paxwax3August 12, 2005

Hi everyone.

We've got chooks and they pick through the garden and around the place, (5 acre). I have a range of salad veggies they like picking and we have comfrey, nettle, pigeon pea, for the girls, and other herbs too.

I am curious to find herbs that I can make available to the chooks for foraging.

Herbs for strewing would be helpful too. I have Tansy, Rue, Marigold, Penny Royal, and Thyme.

Any ideas or experiences would be welcome.

Tanks

pete

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Are chooks some sort of fowl????

My daughter lets the chickens run the yard and they do great --- with some added chicken feed. Of course, she never has any herbs, they seem to love those.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 11:01PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Chooks is an Australian word for 'hens' or 'chickens'. The kind you get your eggs from. Chook eggs, as opposed to duck eggs or emu eggs. You get chooks and chook eggs from a chook farm (chookery), owned by a chook farmer. And when you want your chooks to come to you, you say 'Chook chook chook!' and they'll come running. The word rhymes with 'look' or 'book'.

I had chooks when I was growing herbs commercially in my back yard.

Chooks just LOVE nasturtiums and garlic chives, and I had to keep these well out of reach if I wanted some left over to sell. They also don't mind the leaves of chilli plants. Basically, I found that they'd ignore most of the common culinary herbs like basil, mint or thyme, but they had a decided partiality for the herbs with oomph - a bit of a bite to them. They never touched the ordinary chives, which I took to mean they weren't keen on onion.

They also kept my garden free of weeds (herbs I wasn't trying to propagate!) like nettles, purslane, bindii, clover.

However, when you just toss food scraps to chooks, they'll eat almost anything - including chicken meat and eggs!

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 3:33AM
baci(z10Ca)

I would hesitate to feed a chicken a chicken part or egg  in todayÂs changing times itÂs unsafe & can spread disease. One example of a problem is the outbreak of Newcastle disease in chickens in CA. Over 1-2 million chickens had to be killed because of this disease - & that is just in a couple of counties. Watch what you feed your chickens & keep them clean.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 8:17AM
Heathen1(10a)

purslane is supposedly a good herb for chickens... I think I have heard rumblings that it will increase the omega-3 fatty acids in the eggs.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™