1st post - Lavender imposter??

afo316(6)August 4, 2014

I bought a pack of Burpee True Lavender seeds and planted them sometime in early June. I watched the seedling pop up and it looked normal. When they were about 2 inches tall they all started curling/crawling almost. Now it's about 6 inches tall or so and I'm starting to question whether or not it's actually lavender... Strange I know, but it does not have lavender's distinct rosemary-like leaves. I had lavender in my mom's garden (a transplant), but have never grown it from seed. I've been googling lavender details and my mysterious plant doesn't really look like it... Very confusing because like I said, they are purchased Burpee seeds.

I have a photo attached. Any help/ideas would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GardeningHeidi(5)

What does it smell like?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:26PM
afo316(6)

No distinct smell other than your average plant smell, but very slight (even with my nose against it).

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:34PM
jaynine

Amarathus spinosus, I think...a weed.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:34PM
afo316(6)

Jaynine: A possibility, it has similar bud formations but different leaves... I sure hope I didn't pay $3 for weeds from Burpee!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:38PM
GardeningHeidi(5)

No smell, huh? Hmm. That doesn't SOUND like lavender. I've only grown two kinds, but all the stuff I've smelled had a quite distinctive smell. Odd if you got the wrong seeds.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:07AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

That is definitely not any kind of lavender. It's an Amaranth as jaynine suggests. A weed, although an edible one. The seed was not necessarily in the pack. Weed seeds come into pots via soil mixes, wind, etc. I suspect the lavender has not germinated at all .... yet. I wouldn't give up. Cut off the Amaranth (pulling will disturb the mix and leave the pot a while longer. Don't over wet the mix. You never know.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:45AM
afo316(6)

leggs: Exactly! I am so puzzled...

floral uk: Hmm... But I've used the same potting mix for all my other plants (a dozen or so) and have not seen any of these pop up... All of the seedlings I had in jiffys with the same seed starter soil I've used for all my seeds, then I transfer them to a bigger pot with my usual potting soil. No sign of this lil guy anywhere other than my "lavender". As seedlings, they all start out the same, straight up with 2 little roundish leaves, then the stems begin to darken to a purplish-red and they begin to lay down almost as if to crawl (hence the fork). There's a photo of seedlings attached. So confusing...

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™