Questions on Harsch Crock Pot - No Bubbles

spiceblender(5)July 25, 2012

I am new to using a Harsch Crock and two weeks ago made sauerkraut and set in the basement. After about 3 - 4 days I did notice a couple of large bubbles in the water trough and have not seen any since (been 14 days since making it). Is this normal? Is it okay to take the lid off and look at the product or will this spoil the fermentation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cannond

I have a Harsch, but I haven't made sauerkraut, yet. I have fermented mixtures of cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, and carrots. It starts bubbling a few days after I start,(usually three) and continues for a week. I don't open the crock for three weeks. You can open it to check.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:47PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Fermentation will be slowed by cooler temperatures. Depending upon how cool your basement is, the fermentation process may not yet be "there."

If the sauerkraut is smelling good and there are no signs of mold or spoilage, it's all good. These natural processes go by their own schedule.

Carol

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:06PM
jimnginger(9)

No, do not take the lid off and keep checking. You introduce oxygen and tempt the purification critters when you do that. Take the top of near the end of the process and taste - trust your instruction book on that.
I don't sit and watch my bubbles when I ferment, but I do know that at the right temperatures, in 13 or 21 days I will have some good stuff.
The above assumes a temperature of 65 to 72 degrees F. for the first few days and then not exceeding 80 degrees F. for the balance of the time.
It is summer so unless you are in Greenland or the Arctic, I assume your basement temp. are in warmer ranges. Foods will ferment at 45 degrees F. but I believe for kraut, that extends the usually 21 days to 6 months or so.
Hope this helps.
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™