Your Favorite Lavenders

maximus7116(MI)August 10, 2014

On to the lavenders! Please post your top three to five lavenders/orchids, along with the reasons they're at the top of your list.

The top of my list starts with CHATEAU BELAIR, planted in 2012 and took off right away. It's a tall plant with very strong scapes, tons of buds and a beautiful flower that holds up well in the sun:

SWALLOWTAIL KITE is an older Hanson that will always have a place in my garden. Strong grower with perfect blooms almost all the time:

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL took a few years to settle in but has won a place in the garden with its big, wide open blooms and bud count:

NORTHERN KINGFISHER makes the cut because it tried its best in bad conditions and the blooms were gorgeous. I'm including it in the lavender category because it bloomed darker than normal in this photo:

Please share yours. I love the lavenders!

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkayd_il5

Again very hard to pick.

Finger Lakes - love this one
Spiny Sea Urchin
Regency Heights

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 2:04PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

I don't have many lavenders.well, I cant get to them to post them anyway. I have come to hate this computer with a passion with its windows 8 in it. cant do nothing you want to do with it. wel,I could say a lot more about it, but not here.:(

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:19PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

Well, I can do what some of the others are doing, just tell you what I have in the lavenders, but, no photos. Tried to get them from photobucket and couldn't get to them, looks like they not even there, now, Then tried to do it like I did the others, and that wouldn't work today either.so anyway, I have LAVENDER CASCADES,, PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY, and TRANQUIL WATERS. just wish I could post them
jean

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:30PM
shive(6b TN)

My favorite lavender, although there were few blooms this season, was TEXAS BLUE EYES.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN is always a favorite lavender.

UNITY CONSCIOUSNESS

Debra

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:40PM
maximus7116(MI)

Judy, I forgot how much I liked Finger Lakes until I looked it up.

Debra, Texas Blue Eyes always looks good -- great photo, too. Since we're the only ones loving lavender so far, do you have any more?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:03AM
marricgardens

Good thread! I need more lavenders in my garden. Right now the only one I have is Lavender Heartthrob. I do love CHATEAU BELAIR, I tend to like them tall. NORTHERN KINGFISHER is also lovely. I'll be watching for more.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:41AM
Edward_Kimball

Crazy Doyle was registered as pink but it is my only true lavender in the garden. It is a nice border daylily.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:20AM
Brad KY(6b)

Lavender is my 2nd fav next to purple. Carman Renee is tops: beautiful bloom, lots of blooms and fast increaser. Great show! Fiordiligi is next for the same reasons, though a completely different style of bloom And then Tune the Harp is a wonderful blend of colors and a great bloomer.
Brad

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:40AM
lynxe

Is "lavender pink" lavender or pink? I have SMALL WORLD TWISTER, which is registered as a "light lavender pink blend." Looks very lavender here. I'm listing it beause it's been in bloom for quite a long time and is a very pretty color. Also, I consider it a substitute for SKINWALKER, which I've tried and failed to grow twice, in two different gardens. One fault, if it is a fault, is that it has not yet attained its registered height of 42".

SMALL WORLD TWISTER
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164871&name=Sea Monster

The same with SEA MONSTER (Gossard 2010). It's a deep lavender here and not a lavender pink, as registered. I love the color as well as the color combined with the teeth. I also like that it's a midlate bloomer -- and in bloom now.

SEA MONSTER:
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164871&name=Sea Monster

And yet again: HAKUNA MATATA (Schaben 2007) is a "pink lavender". So pretty! I love its combo of lavender (or pink lavender) with the blue eye, and the blooms have a rich sheen to them. It's quite tall, at 50" (but not this year) and is a midlate bloomer.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=157319&name=Hakuna Matata

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:01AM
lynxe

I just realized that one I like very much is a lavender:

RAMA LAMA DING DONG (Williams-Bachman 2010). It's the pale, pale lavender with that huge throat that does it for me.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=163374&name=Rama Lama Ding Dong

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:23AM
gwnichole(8a)

I don't have many, and this one is new this year, but I really like it: Purple Honey Creeper

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:51AM
jkayd_il5

marric, if you like tall ones think about Regency Heights. I almost have to reach up to deadhead. It's a very nice lavender.

I just looked it up and it is registered as 34 to 36". I read someone else's comment about the height being taller and I know it's taller than that, as least in my garden.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:20

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:14AM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have plenty to look up now. I knew about Hakuna Matata and have been looking for that one for a while.

Crazy Doyle sure looks lavender to me. It reminds me of Chateau Belair.

Love the curls on Carmen Renee and Purple Honey Creeper has always looked beautiful. I wish I could grow Honey Creeper, but I'm afraid the colors from the Lambertson daylilies don't look the same in my climate.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:58AM
avedon_gw

I can only think of three: My favorite BERMA ABERCROMBIE

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:49PM
nat4b(4)

If I got the color right my favorite lavenders are:
Undercurrent
Cosmic Traveler
Intelligent Design
Mardi Gras Parade is good too, lots of flowers, but this year they were on a small side

Undercurrent from yesterday

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:49PM
nat4b(4)

Cosmic Traveler blooming today

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:50PM
avedon_gw

Sorry, try again for the picture

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:52PM
avedon_gw

Moonlight Orchid

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:54PM
nat4b(4)

Intelligent Design from the beginning of the season

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:54PM
avedon_gw

Palace Garden Beauty

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:57PM
alameda/zone 8

Pat Soileau by Jack Carpenter

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 1:37AM
juliet11(z7 MD)

My best performing lavender is American Folklore. It has better branching and bud count than most of my daylilies, has healthier looking foliage and is 23"-27" tall for me instead of the 20" it was registered at. It is a 3.75" flower.

American Folklore

Some more favorites are:

Inspired Edge

Indy Charmer

and these 3 recent patterned minis by Grace Stamile:

Little Trooper

Little Surfer Girl (looks especially blue early in the morning)

Little Jet Setter

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:41PM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks for continuing to post, everyone. There's a ton of gorgeous favorites in this thread.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Rice Daylilies
I've grown quite a few of the daylilies hybridized...
Julia NY
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
How do I delete photo before it is posted?
If you upload a photo from your computer to a post...
Julia NY
As I Promised, Photos...Spring's Coming
Here you go, As I said, it is just the beginning, but...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™