Honey Bees?

K8OrlandoJuly 5, 2012

Hi all!

I have seen a huge increase in the number of bees this year and realize that there hasn't been much news lately about them. Is the decline in honey bees officially over? Did they ID the fungus/virus/parasite that was killing off the hives and fix it or did it just go away on it's own? Were they being abducted by aliens?!? I'm woefully behind on bee news! Can someone give me an update?

Thanks!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MoonFire(8b)

I'm up here in lower alabama in zone 8b...right on the alabama/florida state line...seems honey bees are in the strangest places...or either i've never noticed them before...wanted to get some seeds off of a tall palm tree and everyone of the tall palms in this area are swamped with them...they are also all over the orange/red trumpet like vines that grow wild here...that is a normal i guess but there are more this year than i remember noticing the last few years...also the crepe myrtles here are semi-covered with them...more so than usual...i also have a couple in my morning glory bush in my yard...that's the update for this area :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:59AM
katkin_gw

Hi There, we seem to have even more then ever, but then I have even more then ever flowers for them to pollinate. :o)

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 6:51PM
starryrider(9)

I had an interesting conversation with a bee guy. He said the commercial beekeepers can produce more hives then there is a market for.

I hear a lot of negative feedback on pesticides and bees but according to UF the biggest killer of hives is mites.

I always have an abundance of bees on my blooming palms and crepes. I can hear them before I see them.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:06PM
nessz79_10a

I wish we had more again! Up until a year ago, our neighbor 2 properties over kept bees and we had tons! Then he decided to move them to another property and we don't see them nearly as often. If I had the nerve to do them myself, I would, but I have a bit of a stinging phobia, and you know phobias are never rational. :)

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Planting Poinsetta plant in ground - Ft. Lauderdale
I have a Poinsetta I purchased in December that still...
Shelly K.
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Cypress Vine - will I regret it?
I bought some seeds today, gonna see if I can get things...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
Shady Central Florida Fruit/Veggie Garden?
Hi everyone, I'm moving into a rental condo (Orlando)...
ellie479
Sponsored Products
Honey-Can-Do File & Storage Cabinets 3-Drawer Rolling Cart Clear/Chrome
$57.49 | Home Depot
Couristan Anthians Area Rug - Honey Multicolor - 8181/2020-2X3
$65.00 | Hayneedle
Leucos | Spring Table Lamp
$418.50 | YLighting
Corsini Damask Pillow 19"Sq. - HONEY
$280.00 | Horchow
Honey-Can-Do Clothing Hangers White Hotel Style Hangers (72-Pack) HNG-01358
$78.72 | Home Depot
CabLED Path & Landscape Lights RF Remote Dimmer and Receiver CAB-REMDRHD
$49.97 | Home Depot
Art Display Easel in Distressed Honey Finish - MF074
$255.00 | Hayneedle
Nocturne European Sham - HONEY (EUROPEAN)
$155.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™