canning an Indian-spiced carrot pickle?

lisapat(8a)July 31, 2012

Has anyone tried canning an Indian-spiced carrot pickle? The traditional one is lacto-fermented, uses a lot of oil, and is typically stored in the fridge.

I'm thinking of using a standard BWB pickled vegetable recipe, subbing dry-roasted (no oil) Indian spices for pickling spices, and canning it - has anyone tried this? I'd like the carrots to stay crunchy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kastle

Yes I've pickled carrots & used Indian spices instead of dill seed or whatever. They were good & still crunchy.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 2:08PM
hubcap_annie

This is not an answer, but if anyone knows of a safe canning recipe for pickled carrots with indian spices I would also love to know about it.

It's a dream of mine to BWB can pickled carrots with indian spices (esp. ginger), and I have been looking at every "approved" pickled carrots recipe I can find, but none of them ever seem to include those kinds of spices.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 9:32PM
adalinaabella

The Indian pickles have made its way to the food industry and now it is one of the best selling products in the market. Pickles from India have a different aroma and flavor because it is made with different spices, cooking styles and ingredients. Usually these pickles are made from four or more ingredients. These pickles are traditionally cooked in oil. There are many different varieties of pickles according to its made and region

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickle Chutney

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:44AM
Eddysoar

Hi Annie

Were you able to find an answer to canning Indian-Spiced carrot pickle?

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™