Sweet potato question

zzackey(8b GA)July 28, 2014

Last year I grew sweet potatoes from slips and they just grew in a clump. This year I grew them from slips and they are running all over the place. Will sweet potatoes grow where ever the vine goes or just in the center of the original plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

They can grow a potato from any place that puts down a root with enough time and nutrients. The problem is the amount of time and energy available .
Generally it is recommended to pull up runners to stop them from forming potatoes except at the center.
That way you concentrate the roots where the original plant is and get a potato big enough to be useful.. Otherwise you end up with a lot of small potatoes.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:16AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I got them in pretty late. I'll cut them back. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:03AM
pnbrown

Don't cut back, just don't let the vines root in. Usually on a hot sandy surface that isn't a problem, but check and see if the vines are shooting out rootlets and if so just detach the roots from the ground.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:44AM
Callme.Billy(9 +-)

let em grow. Sweet potato greens are delicious. Just snip the leaves and either steam or boil them til tender. Plus ,the smaller potatoes are sweeter. Boil a pot full of them with skins on til fork tender, drain, pinch the skins off, add some butter and yummmm

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:40PM
saldut

There are short-vine sweets available, (dwarf)...the potatoes are normal-size....., they are better for a small yard...sally

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Mulch around bushes?
I was just at one of the better garden centers here...
echobelly
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™