will mint survive freeze in pot?

sdshoarsSeptember 12, 2008

i was wondering, i have a peppermint plant, and a spearmint plant in pots, and i was wondering if they could survive the winter in the pot, or if i should plant them out if i want them to survive? assuming they would survive in the ground that is...? thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Planted in a garden bed, they survive winter nicely in my zone of 5/6. Keeping them in frozen pots may kill them. I would plant them in the ground for best results. But then I'm not of the same opinion as some that it's near to Apocalyptic to plant mint in a garden. I tend to consider the spread as a bonus - more to harvest. If you do plant them, they will try to spread. Not a bad thing if you are ok with that.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 3:48PM
ghoghunter

You could also just sink the pot into the ground for the winter. That way the roots would be insulated.
Joann

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 8:28AM
neoguy

Yes, they will survive. I'm in northeast Ohio and we have some pretty harsh winters. We have a couple mints planted in 3 gallon pots, they have come back every year for the last 5.

The same with catnip.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 1:16PM
tosser

I'm with neoguy - I've left spearmint & peppermint outside in pots for more than 20 years and have lost very few. This also works with chives - never had a single pot of chives not come back.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 11:41AM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

If you want to leave the mint in pots but are afraid it won't survive the winter, before the ground starts to freeze mound mulch or leaves at least 6" around (only 1-2" ontop) the pot(s). Around March/April you can take them out of the mulch to thaw. Once thawed I repot into a bigger pot.

I have a corner of the yard that is dug into a hill that I set all of my potted plants into and then surround them with leaves for the winter, I haven't lost much considering I overwinter about 50+ pots. Also, for pots smaller than 1 gal I dig out the middle of my raised beds and set the pots in the middle and fill in with soil and then let whatever leaves fall on top stay until spring. Needless to say I don't have a greenhouse...yet!

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 9:22AM
jules7ky(z6KY)

I've had a sweet black peppermint and a Vietnamese spearmint in plastic pots (the kind that look like terra cotta, but lighter) for probably 10 years now, with no problems. The pots are probably 2-3 gallons capacity, and stay on my driveway year-round.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I divided those, either... really tough to kill a mint...

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™