Saving Basil Seed

rocklandguySeptember 10, 2007

Just for the heck of it, I clipped off some of the brown seed pods from my basil plant. It is a real pain to try to open each pod to get 3 or 4 of the seeds out. Is there an easier way of doing this? Also, will these seeds grow true to the parent plant? Is it worth doing this for next seasons plants? Any comments on the saving of basil seeds? Thanks! Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laxfan(z7 GA)

Paul, when the pods are fully ripe they will open by themselves and scatter their seeds. you can shake a bunch into the palm of your hand. I would say they'll grow true- there isn't a lot of hybridizing going on with basil types (not that I'm aware of, anyway). I save the seeds every year.
jg

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I do a lot of seed saving and some seeds heads/pods are easier to work with if you let them dry out first while with others it makes no difference or it is harder. It varies with the plant. Experience or a good book teaches you which way to go.

Also as another general rule of thumb, heirlooms and open-pollinated variety seeds produce plants much like their parents. That's not the case with hybrids. If you bought the basil as plants, see if the tag has the variety name or even if it is a hybrid. If you have the variety name you can google around for it to get the information on the hybrid or not question.

Here is an exerpt from _Seed to Seed_ by Suzanne Ashworth on basil:

"Flower racemes mature progressively from the bottom of the stem to the top. When the seed capsules start to turn brown, the stem can be cut and allowed to dry away from direct sun in a well-ventilated area. Basil plants will continue to produce leaves and flowers after the flower raceme is cut"

It goes on to talk about rubbing the dried raceme on a fine wire screen and winnowing away the chaff. BTW, I can't recommend a better book if you want to save seeds from your veggie garden!

Fatamorgana

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™