Moving herbs from outside in

zoemolly(3)September 21, 2008

Hi, I'm a relatively new gardener. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I know next to nothing! I have been very lucky with my herbs outside this past summer but want to know what I need to do to bring them in for the winter and to keep them thriving and able to use. I have basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, and sage. My dill unfortunately didn't make it. I think I let it get sunburned. :0(

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Basil (culinary, not holy) is an annual and has a short life span. You can try to bring it in but it will only last so long for you so don't be disappointed. I would suggest just harvesting it completely. Freeze the surplus and use as needed.

Dill is an annual and its living quick and dying quick is part of its nature too.

Parsley is a biennial - 2 year life cycle. Normally I treat it like an annual because the second year is poor (for harvesting) at the very best. Again, you can try to bring it in but do not expect much or a long life indoors. Like basil I would just harvest it and freeze or dry the surplus.

I don't grow tarragon so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Rosemary, thyme, and sage are perennials. I've never brought sage in but have tried thyme and rosemary with dismal results. I suspect the low natural light during the winter made it hard for them to survive. I would suggest extra lighting for plants is a must to get these to survive until you can take them back outdoors.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 3:37PM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

That's too bad too hear about the basil. I have a bush that is really thriving. It's about 2ft tall and very full, I just dug it out of the garden and put it in a terracotta pot hoping to bring it in. I guess I'll have to harvest it when the first frost is forecast.

I think I'll try and cut off a few transplants to grow indoors.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 9:42AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Zoemolly - from what I understand of your climate in Vancouver you can probably leave the rosemary, sage and thyme outdoors through the winter if they are in ground. In pots they may need a bit of protection. They are evergreen shrubs or sub-shrubs and all can take an occasional freeze. The sage and thyme will get a little tatty but the rosemary should remain in good condition and might flower in late winter/early spring.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™