Indoor year round herb garden

thisisallnewSeptember 22, 2010

Hello,

I am new to gardening and new to this forum. I would like to keep basil, parsley, rosemary and maybe mint alive in my apartment kitchen all year round. I was considering putting these herbs on my kitchen window sill. Yet, I think in winter these plants won't get enough sun.

How can I tell if will have anough sun year round to keep these plants alive? Are there some inexpensive lights I can buy to supplement the light I am getting from the window?

Anything else I should be considering? The window sill is not that big. Yet I think this is the best place in my house to put them.

I would love to hear from people because this is my big gardening goal. A couple of simple container plants inside an apartment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Since you're new to the forum, let's hook you up with a 'search' of this subject right from this very forum. You can see from the number of times it's been discussed that growing herbs inside is quite the popular topic! ;-)

Read up on some of these old threads and I'll bet that you will get all of your questions answered many times over.

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon...let's do some reading!

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™