Question about mulching lavender

cherry67(6)September 28, 2012

We purchased some potted Lavender this spring and planted them around June. We are using playsand and limestone gravel as a mulch because I read somewhere that it's best to use a mix of 50% sand and 50% limestone sand to mulch, since I wasn't sure what kind of sand to use, my husband just picked out the playsand. We couldn't find limestone sand so we figured the limestone gravel would be the next best thing. Do you think the playsand is good enough? Or would the particles not be large enough? We have clay soil and I just recently read that sand might not be good for clay soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I can't think of any reason to mulch lavender with anything. I'd just leave it as it is, neither changing nor removing what you have put down there already. Lavender will grow in clay as long as it has reasonable drainage.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:12PM
cherry67(6)

Thanks, the reason why we are mulching is becauase my husband has nicked it a few times getting too close with the weed eater, and letting the grass grow in between and around it looks very unsightly,

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:00PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Oh, I see, I had assumed your lavenders were in a cultivated area.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 6:46AM
cherry67(6)

No, just a little patch of area beside the driveway. We only have 4 growing there right now.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Even mulching requires you to occasionally pull weeds/grass. I personally would under plant with something else rather than mulch but to each their own preference.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:00AM
lavender_lass(4b)

Bark might be better than sand, but I don't like how it gets into your gloves. My mom has a lot of success with bark mulch, though.

What kind of lavender did you buy? Hidcote and Munstead are hardy to zone 4 or 5 and don't need a winter mulch, but other lavenders might need some protection from winter cold and snow.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™