Vines or other ideas?

tennansmJuly 12, 2014

Hello,

I live in St. Pete and wanted to get some native vines to climb up a trellis I'm putting along the wall. I was hoping for something that will grow up 8-10 feet and be quite thick. I'm also looking for a plant that would deter people from walking along that side of my house.

Also, any suggestions my very sunny pool deck? I was hoping for Florida native plants and a native vine for another trellis I've put up. For this spot I need plants that are safe for dogs if you have any suggestions.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

What about smilax auriculata (common greenbrier) for deterence and vine? You could also use the saw greenbrier, I think the leaf is prettier, but that's up to you.
I have no suggestions for a sunny area, perhaps someone else has more experience in that dept. and will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some native Florida vines

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:32

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom123_gw

If you want to attract butterflies such as Zebra Longwings or Gulf Fritillaries you should plant some kind of passion vine. Those with blue or purple blooms seem to work best. If you want to attract hummingbirds I suggest the coral honeysuckle. It produces very pretty red blooms and also gets visits from some butterflies.

Passion vines tend to grow quickly and will get long and bushy in a hurry. The coral honeysuckle is very well behaved. It your zone they will be perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora incarnata

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™