Diff between Ascorbic Acid and Citric Acid?

nancedar(z7NC)July 20, 2008

Would someone tell me the difference between Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and Citric Acid - Anhydrous?

When I dip okra to prevent discoloration before it is sold at my farmers' market, I use Vitamin C tablets dissolved in water for the dip solution.

When I use my dehydrator for drying peaches, I use powdered Ascorbic Acid in a solution to dip them.

When I make some jams that the fruits are too sweet, I use Citric Acid instead of Lemon Juice for tartness.

How interchangeable are these and how would you know when to use which one if they aren't?

Nancy

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They are 2 very different compounds, both organic, but with differing effects on food and very different purposes.

Ascorbic is a food preserver - primarily color - while imparting no acidic taste and does not change the pH of the food nor does it have any antimicrobial properties.

Citric acid is a natural food acidifier in that it changes the actual pH of the food as well as the taste. So when drying food it is the color/appearance of the food you want to preserve. But citric is required when ever you need to increase the acid pH of the food. Citric acid is also a natural antioxident, antimicrobal, and germicidal which is why you often see it in cleaning solutions. Not that we want to scrub down the kitchen counters with our tomato juice. ;)

They cannot be used interchangeably in canning/home preserving.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Are Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid Twins?

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 3:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Please read through the many many very recent posts recarding the MAIN differences between an ACIDIFIER and an ANTI-OXIDIZER. Both are covered many times even in just the last few days.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™