Dehydrating Green Beans

judydelJuly 27, 2014

Is it okay to toss blanched green beans in oil before putting into the dehydrator?

Or will this mean that you have to freeze them afterwards for safe storage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Can I ask why, what you want it to accomplish? I'm having difficulty seeing it as any thing good but since I've never done it I might be missing something. :)

The oil coating is going to significantly retard the drying process. Perhaps to the point of preventing complete dehydration - oils retard heat penetration and oils can also go rancid when exposed to heat - and that delay could allow time for bacterial growth to develop.

So yes, I would thing that freezing would be needed if for no other reason than they won't fully dehydrate.

Dave

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:25PM
judydel

OMG they are so delicious! The beans I am using are pretty thin (and long). I cut them up into small pieces and several have already dried completely in just 4 hours. They are delicious Dave, coated in the olive oil flavored with sea salt, paprika and garlic powder. Yes, good points so I'll freeze if there are any left that is lol.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:08PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Could you toss with the oil and spices just before eating them? Dry "naked" and season later?

Deanna

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™