Can I sub lime juice for lemon juice?

kerryvJuly 24, 2012

I am making a mixed berry jam, recipe below. It calls for 3/4 cup lemon juice, well I have only 1/4 cup and was planning on making it during nap time (which is now). My question is, can I use lime juice to make up for the remaining 1/2 cup or no?

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma Mixed Berry Jam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes you can sub bottled lime juice for bottled lemon juice. It will affect the flavor substantially however.

Dave

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 3:11PM
kerryv

that is a bummer, I dont want it to alter the flavor that is for sure. Thanks. I guess I am on to look for another blueberry jam recipe...

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:01PM
malna

A lot of folks like the blueberry lime jam from the Ball Blue Book. I think the substitution sounds good, but I adore the flavor of lime :-) Might be something to ponder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of Blueberry Lime Jam

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:17PM
kerryv

can I use fresh lime juice? Thanks

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:47PM
kerryv

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 5:06PM

Instant pectin? There is powdered pectin or liquid pectin. Which form and brand name do you have?

As a general guide you can add powdered pectin to any recipe but not liquid pectin. But normally it is used only when specified by the recipe. They are not interchangeable.

You can use fresh lime or lemon juice when making jams and jellies because they are not there for safety reason (with a couple of exceptions). They are included to make the jam/jelly set.

But when the lemon/lime juice is used for acidification reasons, such as when canning tomatoes, then bottled juices only. Fresh lemons and limes have a wide range of pH, bottled juices are stabilized with a fixed pH.

Dave

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 5:38PM
2ajsmama

Blueberry Lime is a great combo! But what are other berries in the mix? Link didn't work for me. Might not be as good with other berries.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 5:53PM
kerryv

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:29PM
kerryv

I have this instant pectin: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-realfruit-instant-pectin-4-7-oz/shop/382681/

Thanks for the clarification on the jams and jellies for fresh vs bottled!

the other berries I am using are cherries. I ended up making a blueberry syrup and will run out tomorrow and get some more lemon juice:)

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:32PM

Hmm, some new stuff from Ball. Powdered apparently but it is made to use with no-cook jams. No information provided on how or if it would work with all the standard cooked jams and jellies.

Dave

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 10:04PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Personally I think the recipe would be fine with 1/4 cup lemon juice. If I were making that preserve, I wouldn't consider as much as 3/4 cup.

It's a no-commercial-pectin jam and should work fine with the lesser amount. In fact, I venture to guess in flavor and set it might well work better. 3/4 of a cup is a lot of lemon, unless you like that in your berries, and the acid may throw off the pectin-acid-sugar balance.

Carol

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:12AM
kerryv

I made this jam last year and it was wonderful! I used strawberries and blueberries and the 3/4 cup lemon juice. Thank you for the inputs! still have to figure out what to do with instant pectin...

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 8:45AM
soonergrandmom

I thought instant pectin was for no-cook freezer jam.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™