Frost tonight what should I bring inside

girlsingardens(zone 5 NE)September 18, 2006

We are supposed to get a frost tonight, first of the season. I am trying to decide what to bring in and what can handle the outside temps. It is only supposed to frost tonight and be in the 70's by Wednesday. I was thinking the rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme, lavender and sage. I was wondering how well these do inside during the winter. I would love to have fresh herbs all winter, but with 2 little ones ( 3 and 1) and 3 kitties in the house need to pick carefully which ones o bring inside. I also have oragano, costmary , chives, garlic chives, and mints. I think these will do okay outside.

Stacie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I'd get the rosemary and lemon thyme in tonight. Thyme (vulgaris) will stay green under a bed of snow pretty much all winter and sage mostly does the same. The lavender will probably have to come in at some point since zone 5 is right on the edge of hardy without lots of mulch and then, only if you have good drainage during the spring thaws.

Oregano, chives and garlic chives will die back after a hard frost / freeze but they'll come back strong in spring.

Don't know which will overwinter best but I can tell you that cats seem to munch chives and garlic chive starts indoors in late winter, even if you're growing cat grass right next to them. The only thing that they seem to like better is lemongrass ;)

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 8:36PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

The Lemon Thyme is usually hardy to zone 4 if planted in the ground. Your Lavender and Sage should do just fine especially thru frosts. If your are on the very edge of zone 4b a good mulch of straw laid down AFTER the ground in frozen should be sufficient. I'm zone 5b-6a Eastern Wa but I've friends north of me in zone 5a Eastern Wa who have no problems with lavender *English types* or the 'Grosso' making it thru the winter mulched or not. I don't mulch mine at all. There is also a very productive Lavender farm in Otis Orchards (eastern Wa...east of Spokane) in zone 5 in the foothills of Mt. Spokane and I know they don't mulch several acres :D

Vera

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 10:47AM
urban_will

Does anyone think hot caps might help those herbs see thru a light frost?

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:27PM
urban_will

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:28PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Never tried it. Let us know how it works for you.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:26AM
urban_will

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™