When will my basil and cilantro start seeding?

GMOFREEGUYSeptember 19, 2013

Theyve both been growing flowers and this is my first year growing basil and cilantro so I dont really know what to expect. Any suggestions to get them to start going to seed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Where are you located ?
Cilantro and basil are in two different categories: The first is cool crop, and the latter a heat loving one.

The best bet is to wait until the next season and cast seeds.
DO NOT count on RESEEDING ITSELF.

Cilantros are easy to grow from seed.
Basils, On the other hand, are harder to grow. They need real WARM soil and air temperature.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 6:01PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Cilantro reseeds for me very well. I haven't actually sown cilantro in a couple of years but have it in the garden every year. But for best results, seysonn is right. Purposely sow the seeds into prepared beds.

If you are talking about bolting (when these herbs start to flower), that is very condition and weather dependent. What region do you live in?

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:06PM
GMOFREEGUY

Im in the northern california valley. I didnt really do enough homework on my herbs cause i just wanted to try growing a bunch of different herbs in a big planter but a lot of seeds never popped up. My basil and cilantro are the only things that got really big, and i have a little parsley plant growing in a corner of the planter

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:40PM
GMOFREEGUY

this was about a week ago so the bolting is a lot taller, and you cant really see the cilantro but its not so pretty

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:42PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

That is a healthy and tasty looking basil pot.
I would eat them and would let just one of the branches go to seed.

BTW: flowering of basil is not considered BOLTING. With cilantro it is. Bolting means that it is done :

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 4:33AM
GMOFREEGUY

Thanks :) its probably my best thing ive grown this year. Believe me ive been trying my best to eat it and give it away but theres just soooo much of it. Im probably just going to let it keep doing its thing since ill never be able to finish it all. So it should start going to seed after it flowers for awhile?

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 2:34PM

It might be quibbling, but once basil starts to flower it is rather done. It stops putting on size and vigorous foliage growth. It puts all its "attention (can I say that about a plant?) into flowering.

While it may not exactly be "bolting" as with cilantro, I would consider it maybe to be "bolting lite" with basil. And while I don't taste the difference, I do believe there are quite a few that prefer the taste better before it starts to flower. Best approach, harvest basil often and don't let it even think about flowering! :)

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 5:33PM
GMOFREEGUY

Haha okay that makes a lot of sense, Ive noticed it hasnt been getting any bushier since it started to flower. I really need to start eating more of it cause I still have so much of it.

The past couple days though a lot of the leaves have started wilting and turning black at the edges. Does anybody know what might be causing this? Is it some type of disease?

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:30PM

What are the temperatures?

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 6:22PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

For most of us from zones 7 and lower, basil is expiring outdoor, anyway. They might survive til frost but won't do much more than just sitting there.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:18AM
CarloMartin947

If you really want your plants to make seed, taper off watering and they will get the hint: Death is coming, so better make seed for the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Got some bugs... killing my Mint
I need help find out what kind of pest is the one killing...
lovemiami
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Sponsored Products
Sasha Outdoor Pendant by Carpyen
$504.00 | Lumens
'My Sunshine' Dictionary Print
$11.99 | zulily
SBF 80 L1 Super Quiet Ventilation Fan and Light
Lightology
Apple Green Eyelet Paper Lantern
Cost Plus World Market
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Snakes & Ladders Multi Colored
$49.97 | Home Depot
66" x 86" Oblong Cloth
$122.90 | Horchow
Estelle Counter Stool by Copeland Furniture
$869.00 | Lumens
Comfort Dreams Lifestyle Collection Neck and Shoulder Support 2.5-inch Topper wi
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™