citrus leaves edible?

dogpaws_2008September 16, 2008

Are citrus leaves edible? In Thai cooking, you use the leaves of the wild Thai lime, torn and removed or slivered fine and not removed, to infuse their incredible flavor in a dish.

I've asked around and no one has been able to answer me. Can I use the leaves of the local Persian lime trees the same way? What about orange trees? No one seems to know including the local ag county extension. They both smell intoxicatingly fragrant when you tear the leaves.

I'm guessing the answer is probably yes and they sell lime oil and orange oil but I hesitate to use myself as a guinea pig.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I have a Kaffir lime tree (Thai) so I limit my citrus leaves use in cooking to only that one....but I do not see how it would be so different from the other citrus leaves? maybe Kaffir is the best tasting?

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 8:44PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

There isn't much information out there on this subject, as I found on doing a quick search. I don't think citrus leaves are edible as such - but the leaves of some species can be used to add flavouring, or be used as a food wrap. Liken them to bay leaves - you add them for flavour, but you don't actually eat them.

I'd prefer to have more information before recommending any other citrus leaves but Kafir Lime, however, just to be on the safe side.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 8:08PM
mersiepoo(6)

I know citrus leaves are not poisonous..they recommend using them (unsprayed of course) or rose leaves when making chocolate leaves for garnishes on cakes and desserts. Not sure if they taste better than kaffir lime leaves or not, haven't tried either of them.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 6:51PM
dogpaws_2008

Thanks everyone. Now that I know they're not poisonous, I'll experiment with them. The leaves are from my tree, and they're not sprayed. I was thinking of using them like a bay leaf, torn, as I make a lot of broths and sauces. I love the kaffir lime leaves. Lemon leaves would also be good, I expect, although I have my lemongrass for that.

Suchin

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 10:42AM
ravisheela45_bigpond_com

i would love to know if anybody has tried other citrus leaves such as orangetree orcommonlemon leaves. please let me know aroma is same as kaffir lime leaf

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 1:44AM
tracydr(9b)

I substitute my lemon tree leaves for kafir lime leaves when making Thai dishes. It seems to work well. I just bruise the leaves a bit and get great flavor. I've also baked chicken wrapped in lemon leaves before and it's delicious.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 2:27AM
truman7_westnet_com_au

I have often used slivered leaves of Tahitian lime in a beef and (green) beans stir-fry, with garlic, soy sauce, Thai fish sauce and brown sugar, and served with rice. Delicious! Quite a different flavour from Kaffir lime leaves, but most certainly edible. I'm in Brisbane (Queensland) and had the tree growing at home.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™