Newbie canning question -- 'pop' sounds when cooling

mogzillaJuly 17, 2008

So I made my first ever batch of raspberry jam today and when I took the lid off the pot for the cooling period I heard several "pop" sounds. I searched my Ball book, but can't find any reference to this happening.

I guess I'll find out in 24 hours if the jars properly sealed, but I was hoping one of the experts here would have some insight.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Sounds to me like the perfectly normal (and highly desired) pinging of lids sealing. This often happens while the jars are still in the water.

Nothing to worry about. After the cooling time, remove and set on a towel to cool completely. After they are cool, verify that the lids are concave and you're good!!

Deanna

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 3:46PM
whynotmi(5/6)

Ah, the joyful sound of the "ping" (plunk, pop, plonk, etc.)

Congrats on your first project. Many more in the future.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 4:50PM
mogzilla

Thak you!!! I've been afraid of canning in the past, but got such a great deal at the farm on raspberries, I couldn't resist. I followed the Ball book instuctions to the "T", but both kids woke from their naps early and I was tryig to keep a preschooler and toddler out of the kitche while I finished.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 7:37PM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

Oh, mogzilla, you're going to come to love that sound!

It's made by the jars sealing: as they cool, air seeps out until a vacuum seal is formed, at which point the pressure is less inside the jar than out so the lid inverts slightly. Some jars can seal while still in the water, as has been said; some take a little while (up to several hours), so you may hear random "pings" (as they are often called, though I agree it sounds more like "pop") for some time after you take the jars out. You can feel the lid on a properly sealed jar bending downward and so having no "give" to it (whereas before it goes in the canner, a jar lid can be bounced up and down a bit easily with a finger).

Congratulations on your first canning! Aren't fresh raspberries just so amazing? You'll be delighted to be eating them in the dead of winter....

Zabby

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 8:37PM
CA Kate

I was "taught" by my first canning teacher to always say "thanks" when one hears the "pop" of a jar sealing. ;-D I still do it to this day.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 12:44PM
annie1992

LOL, Westelle, I also say "thanks". I love the sound of the lid sealing, it makes me smile!

Annie

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 3:44PM
greenhouser(Middle TN Zone 6)

westelle: When I helped my Aunt can in the 50s there was no popping. They were the old time wire-bale canning jars with rubber seals. The canner looked like the All American canner still with us today. Her cellar had shelves from ceiling to earthen floor filled with home canned goods. I have such fond memories of those days.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™