Awesome Spaghetti/Pasta Sauce

KerenR(7)July 8, 2012

Does anyone have a great spaghetti/pasta sauce recipe that is approved for canning? I saw NCHFP's recipe, but it along with others I've seen just seem so bland. Any with sweet peppers in them? I'm looking for a recipe that really tastes great, not just a recipe you are able to can at home. Also, let me know if I am perceiving that recipe wrong. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It is a personal taste thing. Personally we don't find the NCHFP recipe to be at all bland. It includes 1 cup of chopped sweet peppers. And like any other ingredients you can always add more after opening and prior to serving.

But it all depends on if you are seeking a recipe for cooking and fresh eating or one for canning. You can find many different cooking/fresh eating recipes for spaghetti sauce over on the Cooking forums here and on the Recipe Exchange Forum. But they aren't safe for canning.

Recipes that are safe to can will be fairly basic in order to make them safe. Then the other ingredients to boost them to personal taste preferences are added after the jar is opened.

Linked several previous discussions on this question below. Some of them include recipes too and will indicate if they are a canning or a cooking recipe.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaghetti sauce discussions

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 3:59PM
KerenR(7)

Dave, thanks for the input. The recipe calls for 1 green pepper. Can you safely substitute a sweet pepper (orange, red, yellow, or chocolate) instead? I'll give it a try tomorrow, and see how it goes!

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 4:59PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

What recipe are you looking at? The Spaghetti Sauce recipe says 1 cup chopped green peppers not 1 pepper.

Green peppers are sweet peppers but yes, you can use any color of sweet pepper you want for the recipe or even a combination of colors as long as it doesn't exceed 1 cup.

All sweet peppers aka bell peppers aka mango peppers start out green and then gradually turn red or yellow or purple or whatever color.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Spaghetti Sauce recipe

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™