Processing Time

blondiescJuly 12, 2014

Hello All,
I am making watermelon rind preserves and using the Ball Blue Book recipe. The recipe states that the processing time for half pints is 20 minutes. I would like to use pint jars. Can anyone tell me how I should adjust the processing time for the larger jars?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sorry but you can't do it according to the guidelines It reads you can always go to smaller jars (process for the same time) but you can't increase the jar size over what is called for in the recipe. When you want to use bigger jars then you are supposed to find a recipe that calls for that size jar so you don't have to guess at the processing time..

Now you have the option to ignore the guidelines and in this particular case you are lucky as the NCHFP recipe for this allows for both pints and half pints and stipulates the same processing time for both.

The difference in the two sets of instructions is one calls for pre-sterilized jars (NCHFP) and the other (BBB) doesn't. Thus the longer processing time in the BBB vs. NCHFP. So process your pints for 20 mins.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - WM Rind Preserves

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blondiesc

Dave, thank you very much!

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™