Canner not working, can I save jars till I get a new canner

newuandaJuly 8, 2014

Ok, so my canner is not working. It's old, needs a new ring, but possibly may not work even after replacing the rubber ring.

So after years of babying this thing along I'm going to get a new one.

My question is, can I save the jars I was in the middle of trying to can till my new canner arrives? If I put them in the fridge and then just put them in the new canner and process them will they be ok? My new canner will be here in 2 days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

No, you cannot just refrigerate and start again.
They are underprocessed at this point and allow for bacteria growth in the jar. You'll need to remove lids, and, depending on several variables, reprocess from the beginning in clean jars with new lids.

What are you processing?
What method?

We can help with specifics if we have a little more info!
Sorry about the problems, but better safe than sorry.

Deanna

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 4:01PM
newuanda

processing beans; pressure cooker; cold pack

I can definitely drain them and then restart. Just wondering if they will be super mushy

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 5:29PM
newuanda

processing beans; pressure cooker; cold pack

I can definitely drain them and then restart. Just wondering if they will be super mushy

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:12PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

How long are we talking about? If less than 24 hours, fine. Longer than that and they fall outside the safe-to-do guidelines. It not only becomes very risky but also leads to a notable decllne in quality. You'd do better to remove them from the jars and freeze them now.

Since green beans is one of the vegetables most at risk for botulism issues, trying to re-do them poses a greater risk than with some other vegetables.

What really concerns me is "after years of babying this thing along ". That would seem to indicate a long-standing problem that could easily have affected the safety of the foods done in the past as well. For example, pronounced gasket leaking usually results in under-processed foods Could you clarify exactly what the problems with the canner are?

Dave

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™