Moving hostas now

tepelus(6a SW MI)January 28, 2013

Long story short, my boyfriend and I broke up, it was a mutual agreement, and he has agreed to allow me to come back in the spring to dig up whatever plants in the yard to take back up with me to Michigan and plant them in my mom's yard (where they'll actually be appreciated). The next few days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, so I was wondering if it'll be an okay idea to dig up a few of the hostas, in particular my mouse ears collection and any other small ones, pot them up and just keep them stored for the rest of the winter with my other potted hostas, that's if the ground is workable for me to do so. I have a lot of daylilies and hostas to move, so the more I can take now the fewer I'll have to dig and haul in the spring. Yay, or Nay?

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i doubt the ground will thaw...

my concern.. would be cut tissue.. thawing in spring ... and rotting in ice cold thawed soil ... before active growth could begin ... i made some big mistakes with such with too early mail order many moon ago ....

if it could be done.. without cutting roots.. like on the tiny ones ... it might work.. might even keep them in the veg crisper in the fridge ...

lots of theory.. but i would NOT bother ... in this season ... as i have NO experience in such..

besides.. its your prized mousers... do you really want to experiment on those???

ken

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus(6a SW MI)

Sounds like I would be better off waiting. And besides, like you said, the ground probably wouldn't be thawed enough to do it anyway, maybe and inch down, but not down deep enough around all of the roots. Thanks Ken!

Karen

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
Early emerging hostas?
What hostas which emerge early each spring before the...
donrawson
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Hosta Smart Phone App
I think I have my hubby convinced to write me a smart...
thisismelissa
Sponsored Products
Authentic Models MF013 Captain's Desk Ivory
Beyond Stores
Bling Bling Semi-Flushmount by George Kovacs
$250.00 | Lumens
Life's a Pearl Art Print
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Porcelina Crossbar Three-Light Dark Bronze 3000 Lumen LED Pendant Bowl With Cros
$868.00 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Vanity w/ Drawer Unit and Mirror -...
Great Furniture Deal
Furniture of America Tanters Accent Chair with Pillow - IDF-AC6980
$459.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Starburst 6 in. Blue Multi Round Fan Light Shade 0865
$26.99 | Home Depot
Spotty Candy Cupcake Liner - Set of 48
$7.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™