Do slugs favor herbs?

olive51(7)September 2, 2013

I was outside around midnight and saw DOZENS of slugs on my concrete patio--eewwww! They seemed to be mainly gathered on the patio around my 5 ft. tall, potted meyer lemon trees and even more so, around a small rock garden of thyme, veronica, basil, parsley, rosemary, lavender etc.

I am using sluggo as well as beer in shallow pans. My question is: Does anyone know what herbs (and other plants) slugs particularly favor? This would help me in planning next year's garden--perhaps planting herbs in pots located on tables rather than in the ground....I know they like hostas but can't seem to find a comprehensive list of other preferred plants.

Or maybe I'm being hopeful that they even have a preference, maybe they eat anything that doesn't eat them first :-(

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chervil2(z5 MA)

I have had the worst year with slugs that I can recall. I am very upset that the slugs devoured all of my astralagus seedlings. I saw the initial damage and moved the seedling flat off the ground. Incredibly, the slugs crawled to a raised platform to reach the flat and ate the last of the poor young seedlings. In July I lost all my young lettuce to red slugs. This evening I removed a slug from a passion flower bloom. I conclude that these nasty critters like what I want to grow.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:01PM
batyabeth

Slugs like anything they can get their slimy little mouths on.

Fie on them and all their kin!

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 6:23AM
florauk(8/9)

You say you saw slugs but did you see evidence of them eating the herbs? They will eat sage in bad year but I've not known them touch lavender or rosemary. Veronica spicata is pretty damage free for me too. Never get much trouble on parsley either. Basil I grow indoors anyway. And believe me, I have thousands of slugs and snails in my garden.

Top gastropod favourites are hosta, clematis, all bulb flowers, lettuce seedlings and all brassicas.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:22PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

They will probably eat anything that has been newly germinated ,young seedlings, just about anything. That is why, I have only major slug/snail problem early spring. Slugo type products work fine.

But talking about bigger seedlings and mature plants, I know they love basil. Never seen them to eat thyme, sage, rosemary, lemon balm.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 3:06

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 4:31AM
surya55_gw

I have seen them feasting on basil and mint. For non-herbs, marigolds, salvias, hostas- I even saw them this year eating sweet alyssum blossoms. Imagine that! Those grubby suckers!

Fie on them and all their kin! LOL- I totally agree, Batya!

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Sponsored Products
Little People Boomtown Floor Lamp
Lightology
Essentials Stool
Grandin Road
Bramble - Farmhouse Plasma TV Stand in Multi Color - 24700
Great Furniture Deal
DW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Twist Indoor/Outdoor LED Wall Sconce by Modern Forms
$248.50 | Lumens