The correct way to preserve these herbs

barb_roselover_inSeptember 18, 2013

I have basil, thyme, rosemary and marjoram. I assume that you cut and dry them,and wash them before drying. Do most of you hang them to dry or how? Thanks for any help. Also, how do I grind them up and store them? Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

First off... I don't think basil tastes like anything once its dried, so I freeze it.

The rest you wash, rinse, and dry, which you can dry by:
* hanging in loose bunches;
* in a dedicated dryer under lowest heat;
* or, if you're in California, you can just leave them lay out on the counter for a day.

With the exception of Rosemary, I prefer to leave the dried herbs whole and stored in glass jars to be crushed just before using. I have an herb-dedicated coffee grinder that will make short work of grinding Rosemary or any other herb or spice.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:45PM
florauk(8/9)

And just to confuse you with an alternative take - I don't wash them, I dry them by placing on a broad shelf in my kitchen and I don't grind them either. I put whole sprigs in dishes and remove after cooking. And westelle is right about basil - it isn't worth drying. I use it when I can have it fresh and don't use it when I can't. It's a taste of Summer to me, we enjoy the season and then move on to Winter flavours.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:45AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Agree with Flora: Never grind or even crush or rub those herbs. Keep them as whole as possible for best aroma and flavor.

All I do is just separate and throw the thick woody parts.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 6:58AM
chervil2(z5 MA)

I use fresh rosemary year round since my plants come in the house for the winter. I harvest thyme outside for many months and find that I need a very small supply of dried herb.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 8:36PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I don't wash my herbs before drying. I don't use chemicals in my gardens and don't water the herbs (except in extreme conditions) so dirt is not a problem either.

For herbs that are thick or need quick drying, I use a food dehydrator. For most culinary herbs, I air dry on screens. And yes, leave whole until you wish to use. Crumble then.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:12PM
lkzz(7b)

I got the Nesco Encore Dehydrator for my birthday this year. I LOVE it. It dries my garden herbs in a very short amount of time.

I rinse my herbs first and then spin them dry in a salad spinner. Place them on the dehydrator tray set at 125 degrees (supposed to be 95 degrees but I use the higher degree for time expedience and have not seen any problems so far).

My oregano does especially well. Chives lost all of their flavor - even at the lower setting.

Before the dehydrator I hung my herbs in my china closet to dry - worked well but took a long time.

PS. Made beef jerky too - fabulous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesco® American Harvest® Snackmaster® Encore⢠Dehydrator and Jerky Maker

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 4:03PM
barb_roselover_in

Thanks for all the tips. I bought several herb plants and have them under lights in my garage. It is my understanding that the basil will probably not do well, but I may try to bring it into my sewing room that has windows all the way around. I understand that some of these herbs have a natural length of life and may not be productive during the winte months. I am beginning to feel the dill is not going to do well. I just wanted a little bit to add flavor to my cooking. Barb

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™