A few questions

gardengalrn(5KS)July 20, 2011

I have a mother load of fresh garlic that has cured in my back room for several weeks. I'm trying to think of some different ways to use it all and thought I would can/pickle some. Several recipes I have all call for white vinegar. Could cider vinegar be substituted without too much difference? I like cider vinegar better and have several gallons on hand or would just go get the white to use in this recipe.

Also, I looked at a garlic jelly recipe (also calls for white vinegar)that looks kinda good but what would you use garlic jelly for? Thanks, Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can always substitutes vinegars as long as they are 5% - some aren't, especially some of the niche vinegars. You will get a color and flavor change but safety isn't an issue.

Garlic jelly, like mint jelly, is often used as an accompaniment to meats and pasta dishes.

Dave

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 6:57PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Thanks Dave, I think I will try a few jars of pickled garlic tonight and see how I like it. I was reading another thread about garlic and think I will roast some with olive oil and freeze, that would be so handy for sauces and we use a LOT of garlic. I may even add some chopped to my bags of onions that I need to get done and freeze those as well. I'm happy, I have a plan ;) Lori

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:18PM
btbarbara(7b/8a)

I've heard the garlic jelly is good with cream cheese and crackers (like pepper jelly) or as a glaze on chicken. The Ball Blue Book has a basic recipe but when I googled it, I found a ton of variations. I'm hoping to have time to make some this week!

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 8:15PM
tallytwo1994

Garlic will store well without any processing. Keep it in a dry, dark location, with good air circulation. BTW, I like garlic jam. Good on toast and biscuits too.

Carol

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 9:38PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Oh, I never thought I would say this but the smell of garlic and onions in the house is soooo strong and pungent that I'm almost sick to my stomach. I am not one who minds the smell, usually. I cut the stems from all my cured garlic, trimmed the roots. I roasted a pan and have it in the freezer in cube trays to put in baggies. Then, I decided I might as well prepare some onions and that sent me over the edge! Instead of chopping and freezing them, they are whole in gallon bags in the fridge. I just knew I couldn't take any more, LOL!. Lori

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 12:09AM
tracydr(9b)

You can dehydrate the garlic and then powder it. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's much, much better than store bought garlic powder. What isn't?

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™