how long do water bath canned products stay good after opening?

AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)July 28, 2013

Just wondering how long water bath canned items stay good after being opened and stored in the fridge? Im particularly wondering about pickled items.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Once the jar is opened the manner in which it was processed - BWB or pressure canned - becomes irrelevant.

The shelf life is determined primarily by the particular food and how it was prepared (the recipe used) rather than how it is processed. Temperature maintained in the fridge also is important. Below 40 gives a longer storage life than above 40.

The lower the pH of the jar contents the longer they can be stored in the fridge. So for example, sugared fruit jams last longer (1 year) than low sugar jams (4-6 mos.) or pickles, pickles will have a longer shelf life (3 mos.) than say salsa or tomato juice, tomato products (1-2 weeks) will last longer than green beans or other vegetables, (days) etc. It is the pH, the acidity of the food in the jar, that counts.

But pickles made with straight vinegar will have a longer shelf life than those made with 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar because of their pH.

OK?

Dave

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:11PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Everything Dave said. There are some few other factors as well. For example, once opened over time a sugared preserve may crystallize due to the evaporative effect of air. The jam is still "edible" but not very appealing.

For that reason it's important to keep track of how long a batch stays on your shelf to calculate amount of canning in a season and also optimal jar sizes so that products get used up in a timely manner once opened. That may mean more initial expense for smaller jars and additional lids but in the long-term less waste.

Carol

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:06PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

Awesome info thank you.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
True "Daylight Savings"
Crankshaft comic Strip for Sunday, March 08, 2015 I...
berrybusy
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Handmade Chevron Wool Flatweave Kilim Navy Blue Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Ashboro Lighted Indoor-Outdoor Water Fountain
Lamps Plus
36" Palu Teak Console Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
Hide Wall Sconce by Flos Lighting
$365.00 | Lumens
David Bromstad "Day Dream" Artwork - 36" x 24"
Grandin Road
Copeland Furniture | Catalina Bed
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™