Bought wrong plant... can you help me? :-)

scully931(6)October 18, 2009

Hi,

I'm sure this will be an easy one for all you herb lovers!

Last summer I bought an herb that had red flowers. The hummingbirds loved it! I saved the tag and thought I bought the same thing this year... only no flowers.

Now, I did not take the tag with me to the nursery, I went on the name alone and my memory. (Because taking the tag would have been too easy. :-)

Here is the one I would like to buy again:

Can anyone help me for next year? I have no idea what I bought this year and now both tags are long gone.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

Difficult to tell from the pic, it might be Honeydew Melon sage. This won't bloom for me until well into autumn. I have to bring it in for the winter or treat it as an annual, as it won't overwinter in my zone 5 garden.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 8:35AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I agree with herbalbetty, i.e. it is difficult to tell from the photo. I think that it might be autumn sage salvia greggii, but I can't be sure. Does it have a square stem? Why don't you post this over on the Salvia Forum?

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 10:57AM
scully931(6)

Yes! I was laying in bed last night and thought "Salvia!" haha. But, honeydew melon sage sounds right too. Okaaaay... so, guessing those might be the same plant. Going to look it all up from your links. Thank you so much! :-)

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 9:30PM
CA Kate

It looks like one of the small leaved Salvias to me too, and I'm thinking more on the lines of a greggii too.

If you're going to post this on the Salvia forum you will need a more close-up photo. A good site to see lots of beautiful photos of many Salvia's is Robins web page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin's website

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 9:39PM
scully931(6)

Yes, it is definately one of those. I searched through hundreds of my photos to try to find a better one. At any rate, it shouldn't be too awful hard to get next year. I don't believe the nursery sells too many varieties of salvia. I'll just be sure to take a list of the red ones. The links were very helpful. Thank you!

(Sorry I didn't post this in the salvia forum. Didn't see it there. I seldom venture from the cottage garden forum.) :-)

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™