Should I give up on my basil?

tweetspieOctober 15, 2011

I started some seeds in a pot (a bag, actually... it was a kit, but that's another story) in March. There were a ton of seeds and I planted them all, expecting maybe 2 or 3 to grow.

They ALL grew.

I transplanted them to a big pot and put a few in the ground, then when I moved back to college, I took one from the ground in a pot.

Problem is, I didn't prune, like ever, so now I have a foot and a half tall plant with a few leaves that is starting to get a woody stem. I let it flower and seed so I could harvest seeds to use again, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should pull the plant and start new seeds, or if there was something I could do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
defrost49

Once an annual has put out flowers and made seed, its purpose in life is accomplished. Pull it.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 6:39AM
tweetspie

I'm getting mixed answers on Google. Some are saying that it's an annual. Period. Others are saying that in the right conditions (say, indoors) it's a perennial.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 2:15PM
lovestogarden

I kept my small basil plant alive all through last winter in a small pot in the kitchen (eastern sun & artificial), then replanted it outside in the spring. The leaves became thick and tough by about Feb, and the stem was very brown in the spring. Once outdoors, it was slow to get going, but eventually became bushy and productive, and I harvested it a couple more times. It was ok, but not as productive, nor as nice to look at as the newer plants.

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 7:49PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

While you *might* be able to keep it alive for longer than one growing season, it is an annual.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™