canning with canned tomato's

yellowtines(Zone 6)July 8, 2014

I have extra canned whole tomato's from last year, can I use them to make some salsa and then can the salsa, this would be canning the same tomato'es twice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

For fresh eating, sure. But for re-canning it isn't recommended by the guidelines.

Re-canning already canned foods results in a sharp decline in the texture, consistency, and over-all quality. Plus there is sometimes the duplication of ingredients issue that causes problems. For example the salt or lemon juice added when first canned is then doubled in the second use recipe.

Add to that that we are talking salsa, which is a risky food to begin with since it is a low-acid mixture and is eaten fresh from the jar it is best to begin with fresh ingredients rather than adding ingredients that may have developed issues during shelf storage.

Of course you always have the option of ignoring the guidelines but the over-all quality of your salsa will be improved by using fresh ingredients and saving the canned ones - they store for years - for use in cooking recipes.

Dave

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™