natchez blackberry

malomuttAugust 7, 2012

I just bought a Natchez Blackberry, which seems to be going through a regrowth period in the pot I bought it in. I really want this plant to live. I was thinking of growing it in a fan type trellis on a wood fence? Any suggestions or advice would be very welcomed regarding this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I have been disappointed in both Natchez and Ouachita blackberries. The berries are pretty and produce but not very good tasting. While thorny I find the Kiowa to be MUCH better.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 7:50AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Malomutt - I have 2 arapaho thornless blackberries that I am very happy with. They are on a fence with half a cattle panel to tie the vines. I like the flavor and they are very productive!
Your idea will work too, make sure that the trellis is strong and big enough, they are fast growers.

Silvia

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 8:12AM
toomanyprojects(10a/10)

Hi all! I am new to this forum but have been avidly reading for about a month. Amazed at what y'all are getting in your gardens! I am learning from this forum and am anxious to build my beds for the fall.

Sylvia, I have the Walmart variety of black berry and the flavor is good..do you cut yours back all the way or just let it go all year round? Mind is a thornless variety.

I have been gardening for many years but for the first time unemployment (just got a contract based job & it will fit right in to my plans for home-time and income! yeah!)is allowing me to really get this up and going. Most of my past efforts have shriveled up due to work and small children. Now I have tome and helpers for a real garden and I am so excited! Will post before and after picts when I figure out hoe to do this! So glad to know there is a Florida garden forum! Marla

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 12:09AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Marla

Welcome to the Florida forum! And yes, this is a great place for learning about gardening in our area. I am glad to know that you have good news about the job.

About the blackberries, after they finish fruiting I cut them and trained to the trellis, it will be soon for me...

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: blackberry pruning

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:24AM
malomutt

Thanks for the information. The picture was exceptionally helpful. I've repotted the blackberry and staked out one vine in hopes that it will root 2 more plants, but I thought I'd wait till the weather cooled a bit before putting it into the ground. It's rained everywhere but here lately, and plus the
soil needs to be improved too. I also wanted you all to know that I went back to Walmart and the Blackberry they have now as Natchez have torns like crazy. I grow roses and don't mind the torns but this is not the same plant at all.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 4:36AM
More Discussions
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™