Lemon Olive Oil ???

CA KateJuly 9, 2011

One of the things I attempted to make with my large supply of a neighbor's lemons was to brine cut-up lemons in salt for cooking. My DD told me I had to pour olive oil over the whole thing.... wrong advice. I now have salty/lemony olive oil and the lemons are ruined -- I think.

I seem to remember reading that additions to Olive Oli can quickly render it unusable..... salamonilla or botulism or somesuch. Am I correct? Or is it OK to use the oil, lemons and salt?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

The oil seals off the air, allowing botulism to grow in there. Sorry.....
The only way to use is put in the fridge and use in a few days or freeze.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 5:06PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Heavens, I can't see that there's a risk with olive oil infused with brined lemons. You have salt and a high acid citrus. That is in no way in the same category as low acid foods like garlic or peppers.

If you can figure out a way to use the infused oil, I would.

Carol

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 11:37PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

I see it as having plenty of liquid in there to allow bacteria to grow.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:24AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

My fermented lemons are lemons, salt, and dry spices like pink peppercorns and cinnamon.

Unlike cucumbers, fermented or brined lemons rest only in lemon juice and salt. I don't know of any recipe out there which uses water. It's 100% salt-laden acid.

Carol

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:54PM
CA Kate

At this point it is lemon juice, kosher salt and olive oil with a few buried, quartered lemons.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 12:12AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I have a pretty good (haven't made it in a while) summer veggie pizza that uses summer squash and lemon-infused olive oil. It will be interesting to see how your infusion turns out and whether the salt limits its usefulness.

Carol

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 1:28AM
CA Kate

It tastes like lemony oil with a slight back flavor of salt, but not much at all. It will be interesting to cook with it.

I was wondering if I could use the lemon-oil salt as a base to bake in ... something like shrimp or chicken. I seem to remember reading a recipe for shrimp baked in salt recently.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:34AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

You can certainly give it a try. Some Greek recipes come to mind, a roasted potato dish with olive oil and lemon as well as lemon chicken with oregano. There should be lots of Mediterranean possibilities.

Oh, and I'll bet it would work fine for marinated and warmed mixed olives. Patricia Wells has a good recipe.

Carol

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 3:23AM
More Discussions
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™