Rosemary indoors: mildew is winning

teryaki(z5B NE OHIO)October 30, 2011

Brought my potted rosemary inside for the winter, and I just got back from a week-long trip to see it's COVERED in powdery mildew. I don't think I can save it. I treated and managed to beat back an outbreak during the summer, but I can't treat it as aggressively indoors now, and it's not going to get decent airflow no matter where I put it.

I came across a variety listed as "mildew-resistant" called "Gorizia", has anyone had some experience with it, or can recommend a mildew-resistant variety? I'm debating whether to start over with a new plant, or to try and graft a mildew-resistant rosemary onto 3+ years of trunk and root growth (the plant has been extremely healthy and vigorous in the same pot when the mildew hasn't been attacking it).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emptyandamazing(6)

mix up a spray bottle of 1 part milk (skim works best) and 9 parts water, and spray onto the plant. it works better as a preventive but not a cure, however I used it on lots of vegetable plants i received from my neighbor this past summer, and they looked much better after i sprayed them.

but make sure you mix the milk/water solution every time you spray and don't leave it in the bottle to sour.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to spray milk to prevent powdery mildew

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 2:50PM
wally_1936(8b)

Much of your problem may be lack of air movement, most greenhouses use fans to circulate the air to prevent mildew.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:30AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

What is the outdoor temperature at the moment where you are, teryaki? Rosemary will not be killed by temperatures just above freezing, or even a few degrees below if it is for a short period. If you can, I'd put it back outside until the very last minute and try to keep its indoor sojourn as brief as possible.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Can you please name this herb (Qatar)
It smells more like Mint, but it looks like a Basil, I...
maufie123
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Sponsored Products
Compartes Chocolates 16-Bar Deluxe Set
$150.00 | FRONTGATE
Rizzy Home Rosemarie Comforter Bed Set - BT1227KKING
$198.00 | Hayneedle
"Citrus Basil" Filled Candle
$75.00 | Horchow
Agraria Lavender & Rosemary Bath Salts
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Rosemary Herb Scissors
$8.99 | zulily