What should Rosemary and Sage smell like?

PurpleRainbow(z8 NW WA)October 11, 2005

Mine both smell like Vicks VapoRub right now, rosemary more so than the sage. Is this weird? I think so, but maybe they should smell like that this time of year? At least sniffing them seems to help my sinuses! LOL I'm almost afraid to go smell the other herbs now and see if they smell Vicks too. If it is bizarre for them to smell like this do you think they'll go back to normal? I've done nothing to the best of my knowledge to cause any changes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, if you are sure that they are rosemary and sage... maybe you have allergies or a cold? Rosemary smells piney to me... sage smells sagey, sort of a lighter piney.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 12:13PM
kris(8b)

LOL, that's a hard one to answer, sage smells like turkey dressing? since it often used in it and rosemary smells like pine. I would bet you have a sinus infection...I have one now it's comon with weather changes and sinus infections can mess up your sense of smell.

While I like it in cooking I think sage smells funny. Rosemary I love. I saw some smeller on TV who said to sniff coffee beans between smelling perfumes maybe that would work :).

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 5:18PM
PurpleRainbow(z8 NW WA)

Thanks, Heathen and Kris. My sinuses are bothering me so maybe that explains it but my DD thought the sage smells like eucalyptus. I didn't offer her a sniff of the rosemary after I saw the face she made! LOL I guess my question would have been better phrased if I said, should sage and rosemary always smell like sage and rosemary or do they normally smell funny in the fall? Anyhow, they did change smell and it might be me or it might not. I guess I'll wait and see what happens. My pineapple sage still smells like pineapple at least. Just one more of life's little mysteries I guess. Hey, wait a minute, maybe I have a valuable mutant and should get it patented. Nah, not worth the bother.
:o)color>

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 8:24PM
baci(z10Ca)

The Vicks should be a mix of eucalyptus & camphor. They do not smell the same. I do not know about others, but the smell of my sage & rosemary does not change in the fall. Different varieties of salvia smell differently, however, & smell is one way of identifying them. Some are pungent, whereas others are weak, some have a sweet smell, & some have a cucumber smell. I have noticed the soil used can affect the smell and character of the salvia. Certain native salvias such as salvia apiana smell & look different when grown in a soil other than their native soil.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 5:15AM
PurpleRainbow(z8 NW WA)

Hmmm, I don't recall I'd added anything to the soil and it was smelling sagey before, the rosemary might have gotten some compost added nearby. I dunno. It will be interesting to see if they revert back to thier normal smells.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 9:15PM
pony65(Zone 5)

My rosemary has a definite pine scent to it. To me, my common garden sage has always smelled kind of like... well, to be honest, kind of like I remember pot and hash smelling.

Or turkey stuffing, of course. ;)

Pony!

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 5:25PM
oldroser(z5)

Sense of smell is very subject to damage so I suspect it is you rather than the herbs which have changes. when your sinus problems are over, try it again. A loss of sense of smell is very common following colds and/or flu and can persist for a long time or be permanent. I was lucky enough to get mine back but for almost a year, things smelt like chemicals and sweet things smelled and tasted especially bad. It was a minor disaster because I was in England during the strawberries and cream season and couldn't taste them at all.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 5:38PM
PurpleRainbow(z8 NW WA)

I'd readily agree that my sinuses are the true culprit except nothing else smells odd. The sage is smelling more like it normally would and so is the rosemary. If I ever figure it out for sure, I'll let you know.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 6:56PM
flatlander1(z5 IL)

My sage smells a little like B.O. to me. Tastes great, but every time I pick it, it smells the same. Must be a very pungent variety. First time I picked it I looked it up in a book to make sure it was sage. It must just be me. (I don't mean the B.O. is me, my nose must be defective :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 8:18PM
shortarse_hedgewitch(8)

i cant remember what my sage smells like, except that it smells like sage, but not a strong scent, tis prple sage.

aw shame oldroser about the strawberries and cream, nothing quite like them.

odd about the smell changing, ould you have spilled anything on them? tha is washing away wit rain etc.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 9:49PM
PurpleRainbow(z8 NW WA)

Considering the plants are in my front yard I guess something could have been spilled in the area even if I wasn't the one who did it. Whatever caused the change in fragrance, I may never know. Since I don't really like sage I've not tasted it. If the strong, somewhat odd smell continues I guess I'll have to grow more in another spot and see if it smells the same.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 11:57PM
kris(8b)

OK if it still smells weird I think something got to it, cat spray? Your nose can't be off for that long. Vicks is Cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, special petrolatum, thymol, and turpentine oil-copied from the website? Thymol is a component of lots of herbs, thyme and oregano come to mind, but i'm not sure about sage or rosemary.

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 2:53AM
andrewpcook_DELETEME_hotmail_com

I have a sage plant that also smells like Vicks. I found this thread trying to figure out why. I do not have a sinus infection... so I guess I'll keep searching. :)

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 9:06PM
catcarp07_yahoo_com

Many herbs are terpenes, a class of an organic molecule--it is a resin-like smell. Sage smells like a sweaty horse with a undercurrent of ecalyptus. Weirdly enough, I love the repugnant smell of sweaty horses so I also like sage.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 6:12PM
maria_w_operamail_com

In May 2000 I had the chance to visit the Navaho reservation in Arizona, specically Canyon DeChelly..

While we were there a young Navajo man gave us a special tour where others weren't allowed.
He reached down and picked up a hand full of something.
He told us to smell it.. Wow, it was strong. Very potent.Before either me or my husband could say what it smelled like, the young man said you know Vicks while rubbing his chest. We both agreed.

I personally can't tolerate the smell.. So I agree it smells like Vicks... Don't like the smell of pine either...

What lead me here was that there is Rosemary in my Burt's Bees bath oil and wondered what it would smell like by its self...

Have a good day!

Maria

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
Sponsored Products
New Hand Knotted/Made Blue Stripe Weave Flat Kilim Rug 2' X 4' | Free Pad H2799
$72.00 | BH Sun Inc
Titan Lighting Pendant Lights Fusion 1-Light Satin Nickel Pendant with Multi
Home Depot
Hand-Tufted Mandara Traditional Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Man Law Glow in the Dark Steak Thermometer - Set of 4 - MAN-T343-BBQ
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Designers Fountain 9185 Alhambra 8 Light Island in Natural Iron Finish - 9185-NI
$718.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Balta US Rugs Belasera Red 7 ft. 10 in. x 10
Home Depot
Tahoe Bravo Celadon Valance Curtain
Overstock.com
Crown Moldings Urethane Crown Molding Seam Joint 5 1/2" H
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™